I worked on my own today. I decided not to have an official workday this weekend since there was not too much more I could do until I got the all threaded rods welded to the trailer. I spent the day prepping the trailer to get the all threaded rods attached, talking to welders and working off a rather long list of odds and ends that needed tending to.
Here’s what I accomplished:
- Prepped the trailer, talked to welders about getting the all threaded rod attached to my trailer and took my trailer over to Steel Werx to have the welding done. See this post for more information on welding.
- Added some CS-14 strapping to the front wall (as specified in the plans) to make sure the doorway doesn’t separate. I should have done this before I put the plywood on the front wall. However, I don’t think that having the plywood between the strapping and the underlying beams will matter. I use slightly longer nails to make sure they would go through not only the plywood, but the beams underneath.
- Cut the extra 6” of plywood off of the rear wall. When we put the sheathing on, we had simply used two full pieces of plywood which left us with 96” of plywood on an 88” wide wall.
- Cut off the extra plywood on the top of the right and left walls so that the remaining plywood is just high enough to cover the 5 ¾” high ceiling frame which consists of a 2 x 4 header (3 ½”), loft boards (3/4”) and a 2 x 4 top plate (1 1/2”). To make sure I did this correctly, I created a little mockup of a section of the ceiling framing that I could line up under the plywood to make sure the plywood was hanging off by the right amount.