Friday, February 28, 2014
I almost canceled my workday today because I was feeling so low on energy when I woke up this morning. I did not sleep very well last night. I kept waking up, thinking of problems to solve with my tiny house and worrying about a business trip I’m about to take for two weeks. I called my friend, Andrew, at about 9:00 AM this morning to tell him that I was feeling a little bit low and thinking about not working today. However, he said he needed to come this direction anyway and didn’t mind stopping in and simply working as much or as little as we had time and energy for. After that, I felt much less pressure to be as productive as possible today and told Andrew to come on by.
I’m glad Andrew came over. As soon as he got here, I immediately started to feel better. Sometimes when you’re not feeling good or low on energy, just being with a friend makes it better. We didn’t put in a full day, but we still got a good amount done. It was nice to spend the day together and I’m happy with what we accomplished.
Who helped today:
- Andrew (construction)
- Sheila (made lunch for us before she left for work today)
What we did today:
- Screwed and nailed together all the pieces for the front gable
- Cut up all the pieces for the rear gable
- Nailed together all the pieces for the rear gable
- After Andrew left, I also marked and cut out the hole for the left wheel well. I wanted to cut out the right wheel well also, but the right wall is buried under two other walls right now. I will have to do that later.
I think I finally figured out the right way to mark and make the cut out for the wheel wells. If you look at my prior posts, you’ll see that I struggled quite a bit with how to do this on right wheel well. Today, I finally figured out that the trick is to use the hole for the hurricane ties as a reference point. See this post for the process I used.
Today’s tiny epiphanies:
- Friends can be a wonderful source of energy. My day got much better when Andrew arrived and I’m really glad he came over to help me today.
- It has taken me a lot of mental energy to try to figure out all the dimensions for the gables, the best way to put them together and the best way to add plywood to them. The Gables or a little bit tricky because of all of the angled cuts. It doesn’t help that a large number of the dimensions on the tumbleweed plans are incorrect. That has forced me to put my high school geometry to use. It has been a good exercise to double check and correct all of the numbers in the plans. However, doing so has also been very time consuming and stressful, eating up a number of my evenings this week. Staying up late to work on that stuff in the evenings and then waking up worrying about it in the middle of the night is part of the reason I was so low on energy this morning.
Luckily, the time I put into calculating the gable dimensions paid off. The gables are now done, they look great and it felt pretty good to cut everything up to the dimensions I had so painstakingly calculated and see everything fit together perfectly.
Favorite parts of the day:
- Nailing together the rear gable was really fun. It took Andrew and I a little while to figure out how to do the front gable correctly. There are lots of places where nails have to go in at an angle or have to be toe-nailed in. But by the time we got to the rear gable, we really had it figured out. Putting that gable together went quickly and was a lot of fun.
- I will end this post with my other favorite moment of the day. Once I had the gables built, the kid in me came out and I couldn’t resist making a little fort out of them. I really wanted to see a how big our loft would be and what it would feel like to be inside of it. So, I attached the two gables together, threw a tarp over them and made a little tent. Then, I crawled inside to see what it was like. I was worried that the loft would be too small for me, but it’s really not that bad. It’s tight and cozy, but not too tiny. I think it’s going to be great.
Now you can get an idea of the size of the loft: