Saturday, July 18, 2015
I had a good day working on the tiny house yesterday. I didn’t make quite as much progress as I had hoped, but I rarely do and and I’m kind of used to it. I did do some rather complicated things that I’m kind of proud of, though.
Yesterday, I finished putting interior siding on all the sections of the wall behind the kitchen counters. This was kind of complicated for a few reasons. First, I decided to build two removable wall panels so I would have access to the plumbing in the walls, if I needed to. One removable panel I put it behind the sink and the other one I put behind the propane stove. I made the panels by lining up multiple strips of interior siding and then gluing and stapling some furring strips to the back of them. These panels will allow me to test the water lines and still be able to get to the pipes inside the wall. They will also buy me some time to figure out what I’m going to do about the gas lines to my propane stove without permanently closing up the wall behind the stove cabinet.
The other thing I did yesterday that was kind of complicated was to find a way to run all of my electrical lines through the interior paneling. I eventually decided to use flexible conduit for all of my lines. The flexible conduit will make my circuit breaker box at least a little bit movable which will make it easier for me get into the mechanical area underneath my counter in the future. The flexible conduit comes with connectors that are intended to screw into an electrical box. To install them, I drilled a couple of holes in my interior siding, screwed some of these connectors into the siding and ran my wires through those connectors before installing the siding.
I ended up with quite a few different wires coming out of my wall and I needed for different connectors to run them all through. However, all the wires now come through nice, protected holes in the wall. I organized the wires into two sets of 12 V wires and two sets of 110 V wires. The 110 V wires I ran through the connectors and into the flexible conduit. The 12 V wires I ran through the connectors and left loose since they are low enough voltage that they don’t need to be inside conduit. I’m pretty happy with how it all turned out. It looks fairly sturdy and I think it will provide good protection for all the wires.
While I was working on the interior siding yesterday, Sheila spent some time cutting up all of the interior window trim. Some of the pieces still need to be sanded a little bit to remove blemishes before they can be installed. However, we were able to at least install the interior trim around one of the kitchen windows before we quit yesterday. I think it looks great and I’m looking forward to installing trim around the rest of the windows as well.