September 27, 2015
I had some long but fairly productive days working on the tiny house this past week. I worked Friday, Saturday and Tuesday and think I put in nearly 30 hours of time on the tiny house in those three days. In that time, I managed to pretty much complete both sides of my front wall.
On Saturday, I spent most of my time installing siding and electrical components on the front of the house. I finally have the porch light and electrical outlet installed which is really nice. The picture above shows the front wall with the front door closed and the porch light on. I’m really happy with it.
Here are some pictures of some of the electrical details:
I spent the afternoon working on extension frames for the front window and trim boards for the front window and bathroom door. A 2 inch extension frame was necessary because the windows are built for a 3 ½ inch thick wall and my front wall is made out of Parallam beams that are 5 ½ inches thick.
The extension frames didn’t go quite as well as I wanted only because I made an unfortunate mistake. I somehow made them 1/4″ too narrow and only noticed once they were already nailed in place. They were supposed to come out and be flush with the interior siding but instead ended up being flush with the wall studs.
Having the frames be too narrow was a bit of the pain. However, I let the problem sit for a day and came up with a good solution that I implemented on Saturday. I’m getting better and better at letting my problems go and not worrying about them. When I do that, a good idea generally comes to me within the next few days.
On Saturday, I continued working on interior siding and trim. In the morning, I installed trim in other places in the house, like the bathroom door and the lovable loo box. At about 12:30 PM, I gathered up a bunch of wood that I needed to rip down and went over to Gregory’s tiny house work site to process it on his table saw. After I finished that, I helped Gregory and LeeLee lift all of their remaining 9 foot plywood boards up onto the roof so they could install that later in the afternoon. Then, I went to Lowe’s to pick up some odds and ends and finally came back and work for another four or five hours on the house. During that time, I got at least halfway done putting interior siding on the front wall and also trimmed the front windows.
The solution I came up with for the front window frames not being flush with the interior siding was simply to add another quarter inch thick frame of wood around the perimeter of the interior window frame before installing the final trim on the outside. It’s not perfect, but it doesn’t look bad either.
On Tuesday, I left work at about 1:30 PM and spent the rest of my afternoon and evening working on the house. I started by adding some rather complicated trim to the floor of the closet. That was probably more detailed than it needed to be for an area that will rarely be seen. However, I thought it turned out pretty well.
The other thing I did was install the rest of the siding and trim on the inside of the front wall. This was a little bit complicated for two reasons. First, for some reason, the inside edge of the doorjamb ended up being about 1/8″ too narrow and as a result, like my front window extension frames, was not flush with the interior siding. To deal with this, I glued a 1/8″ thick by 3/4″ wide strip of pine to one edge of the trim. It took me a while to glue all of that together and then sand it down until it looked nice. I’m not sure that was the best or easiest solution for the problem, but it was all I could think of and it definitely worked.
The other thing that complicated the front wall was that I wanted the siding underneath the windows to be removable so I could replace it in the future with some kind of table or chair that folded into the wall. I created the removable siding panels on Saturday by lining up all of the strips of siding and then stapling and gluing two strips of quarter inch wood to everything to hold it all together. Yesterday, I screwed those panels to the wall. I also installed strips of trim on one side and on the bottom with screws so they could be removed as well. In the future, if I remove the two trim strips and then unscrew the panel, it should slide right out. All that work on the front wall was pretty complicated, but it eventually came together and you would have to look closely to figure out those panels can be removed.
Although I had to work hard last week to get all of this done, I’m really happy with how both sides of the front wall turned out. Getting that wall completed is something I have been wanting and waiting to do for a long time, but couldn’t do until I installed my front door. Now that it’s all done, I think it makes makes my front door look even better than it did before and makes the whole house looked much more finished as well. It doesn’t matter what side of it I am on, I just love looking at it.