Cold Mold and Hot Rocks


Winter at the Tiny House

March 5, 2017
Yesterday afternoon, we packed up the car and headed to our property for a quick Tiny House visit. We have been out of the country for the past two months and with all of the rain in California, we wanted to make sure the tiny house hadn’t floated away like an ark.
Although it has been dry for the past week, many mountain roads are still closed from all the rain damage. The direct route that we usually take over Bear Creek Road was still closed, so we had to drive all the way to over Highway 17 to Felton and back around to Boulder Creek which took a little over an hour instead of the usual 40 minutes.
We finally got to the property at about 4:00 PM and had to hike into the tiny house because the lane into our property is still too muddy to drive.

We were prepared for that.

What I wasn’t fully prepared for was just how bad the mold on the outside of the tiny house had gotten. We knew it was a problem when we were out there for Christmas, but it has gotten a lot worse since then. It was pretty depressing for me to see my once beautiful tiny house literally covered in black, spotty, fuzzy mold. Actually, I’m not even sure it’s mold. It might be mildew. Whatever it is, it’s gross. What I used to think was the prettiest, most adorable thing ever now looked pretty much like the ugliest thing ever.


Cold Mold (Ewww)

I tried to forget about the outside of the house and headed for the front door to drop my stuff. That’s when I encountered the next problem. I unlocked the front door, but it would not open. It seems that all the recent California moisture caused the front door to swell enough to jam it in place. Although I was eventually able to pop the door open by hitting it several times with my shoulder, we were not able to get it closed again and ended up having to leave it slightly ajar all night. We were able to get the front closed before we left today, but that’s another story that I will tell shortly.
The moldy siding and the sticky front door we’re not the only problems caused by the recent malevolent moisture. We also found a telephone pole snapped in half and dangling across the road leading through our property (luckily, not our problem) and inside our outdoor closet, we found rust and mold all over our brand-new axe and our once nice looking shovel. I’m pretty sure there are no actual leaks in our outdoor closet. I think the air has simply been too humid for too many months now.
On the bright side, the inside of the house was just fine and still as beautiful as ever. Walking inside and flipping on the lights provided a very nice escape from the dreariness, mold and rust that we found all around us outside.
The house was cold, but not quite as cold as it was over Christmas. Over Christmas, it was about 37° F but yesterday, it was closer to 45° F. That was better, but still not quite warm enough that I was sure I actually wanted to spend the night. We do have an indoor propane heater that we could have used to warm the house, but it generates a lot of moisture and I really didn’t want to use it and risk getting mold inside the house as well as outside.
So instead of the propane heater we decided to try something old-school (or maybe prehistoric-school): heated rocks. We threw a couple of large cinder-blocks in the fire and made a giant bonfire on top of them. Then, we sat around the fire, cooked some delicious cheesy Bavarian sausages from Coralitos over the fire, made some S’mores and then fished the red hot cinder-blocks out of the fire with our rusty, moldy shovel, put them on top of our rusty (but somehow not moldy) cooking grate and carefully carried them into the tiny house. Those cinder-blocks were radiating some pretty serious heat. Within about 45 minutes, we had the temperature inside the tiny house just above 60° F. It was not quite the sauna that the Internet had promised us, but it was still plenty warm enough for spending the night. We also discovered that the cinder-blocks were a wonderful place on which to drape our sleeping clothes for a few minutes before changing into them and feeling oh so toasty warm.

Hot Rocks!

We actually stayed plenty warm all night. The rocks cooled off by midnight, but the temperature in the house never fell below 56° F.
Unfortunately, despite being plenty warm, I did not sleep very well. The jet lag from our recent trip is still hitting me really hard. I fall asleep easily at about 10:00 PM each night, but can’t seem to sleep for more than about 1-2 hours. Sometimes, I will get up and work on the computer for a while before going back to bed, but that was not an option inside the tiny house. There was nothing I could do in bed and it was too cold to be out of bed, so I found myself trapped under the covers, wide-awake for the next seven hours.
I spent most of that seven hours wondering how in the heck I was going to get the front door closed before we left the tiny house this morning. Eventually, I decided I was going to shave about 1/16 inch off of the entire latch side of the door jamb. Unfortunately, I had not brought any of my tools with me, so I had to wait until 8:30 AM when the lumberyard in Boulder Creek opened so I could buy some sandpaper and a mini planer that I could use to carefully trim down the jamb.
That project took me nearly 3 hours and was not nearly as fun as it might sound, especially given that I was operating on only one hour of sleep. However, I was successful. The front door now opens and closes nicely again and I didn’t have to shave down the door itself, which meant that I didn’t have to repaint the door and which meant that I didn’t have to wait five hours for the door to dry before I could shut it and go home. At some point, I will have to stain the jamb again, but I can do that some other weekend when it is warmer and dryer.
While I was working on the front door, Sheila was working on the mold. We bought some oxygen bleach and some brushes at the store and she used that with some warm water to try to clean up the wood around the porch. Although unable to remove all it, she did make at least the front door area look a LOT better. I just hope the oxygen bleach will keep more mold from growing in the future. If it does, we will use the same technique on the rest of the house this summer.




After we finished fixing the front door and cleaning the mold off the front side of the house, we took a break and I collapsed into one of the chairs while my wonderful wife volunteered to make me some blueberry pancakes on the stove. I am always a sucker for pancakes, especially blueberry ones.
By the time we left the property at about 2:00 PM, I was so exhausted from working and lack of sleep and so full of pancakes that I couldn’t even drive home. Another thank you to my wonderful wife for taking care of that chore as well.
Despite all of the difficulties we had over the weekend, the tiny house still provided us with some very memorable moments,. We got to see our little waterfall area turn into multiple cascades as it made its way down to the creek. The rain held off long enough that we actually got to enjoy a nice campfire. We got to see lots of little red salamanders and yellow banana slugs. I also got to listen to the rain falling on the roof of the tiny house while I was lying awake in bed which I found kind of magical (not magical enough to put me to sleep, but still magical).

Broken Telephone Pole


Red Salamander

Perhaps my favorite thing this weekend, though, was getting to hang a couple of pieces of artwork inside the tiny house. First, we hung a beautiful creation from a dear family member, Molly. The bottom half is a regular antique mirror, but the top half she painted with a tiny landscape of our tiny house in the woods. It’s amazing. We love it.

After we hung the mirror, we wanted to take a picture of it, but quickly realized that it’s difficult to take a picture of a mirror without also taking a picture yourself in the mirror taking the picture. So, we started taking pictures of the mirror from different angles and ended up with a couple of interesting shots.


Mirror Next to Window with Window in Mirror


Me in the Mirror

The other thing we hung was a picture of a covered bridge in Cornwall, Connecticut that my grandmother painted shortly before she died. It was something that my mom gave me a while back and I have been looking for the perfect place to put it. I’m so glad we decided to put it inside the tiny house. Not only is it a wonderful reminder of my grandmother, but the colors ended up matching the inside of our tiny house just perfectly.

Cornwall Covered Bridge by E.B. Read


Good Match for the Decor!

Wow. I guess that’s kind of a lot to report for a less than 24 hour visit to our tiny house. I’m no longer sure exactly what to expect when I go out there except that each trip is always going to be a bit of an adventure.

Cascade Leading to the Creek

This entry was posted in Heat, Interior Finish, Siding, Tiny Living and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s